updated: 18th of July 2023
published: 15th of May 2020
It's 2020 and the world is coming to an end. Everyone is in lock down due to some kind of killer bat virus. I have always wanted to grow a beard and seeing every one with their awesome lock down beards has inspired me to grow one of my own.
I'll be 41 this year. I was blessed/cursed with the facial hair growing capacity of a 12 year old Lebanese boy. Some people may enjoy only having to shave once every 2 weeks. For me it's confirmation i'm a sissy and I deserve to be punished.
Apparently the number 1 factor in growing a beard is "beard genetics", so that begs the question... How do you grow a beard when you are a genetic beard leper?
In my research I found this site. It has a lot of info and links to actual research so I decided to try follow the method and give it a shot. It's a rather lengthily article but was very informative. Feel free to go through the article for all the gory details.
I am using the following products suggested in this article along with their associated cost.
Again I am following the process outlined in this article. Have a read trough it for a detailed explanation.
1) Apply 1ml of minoxidil in the morning on the beard area.
2) Apply jojoba oil and peppermint oil blend on the beard area in the afternoon and before bed. The blend consists of 28ml jojoba oil and 18 drops of peppermint oil mixed together.
3) Take 3g of Carnitine per day. The study says to take 2g, but I take 3g as part of my normal training routine so i'm sticking with that.
4) Use 1.0mm Derma roller on Sunday night before bed. The article says to use a 0.75mm roller. I ordered a pack with a 1.0mm by mistake so I am using that instead.
5) Keep a healthy diet and exercise often.
I will post a monthly photo of the progress here. According to the site it will take 3-12 months for the process to take effect. Check back to see the progress.